The symptom :
- On a brand new machine (or resetted one), OneNote UWP won’t launch properly, exhibiting the error message above when trying to open (Error code 0xE0000641) ;
- All my notebooks were still available through OneNote Online, OneNote desktop or OneNote mobile, on other devices previously used (i.e. where my notebooks were already opened).
This issue arose after I had to factory reset my Surface Pro device.
When everything was set up again (login with my Microsoft account, setting OneDrive…), I launched OneNote UWP and got the error message pictured above : at this point of time, there was not much left to do except closing the window exhibiting the error message.
Removing/re-installing OneNote (Get-AppxPackage *onenote* | Remove-AppxPackage) didn’t solve the issue.
On any other computer, where I logged in for the first time with my Microsoft account (i.e. not previously used by me), I got the same problem.
Then, I knew the issue was not linked to a single device, but was instead related to the specifics of OneNote UWP (the way the notebooks are stored, their file format, or whatever), and its cloud storage (and/or OneDrive).
The issue :
The culprit is a folder on OneDrive whose name match exactly with the one OneNote is trying to create upon its first launch.
The solution :
- All it takes is renaming this folder ;
- in my case, since I was not yet aware of this root cause, I was able to overcome this issue going into OneNote Online, and creating a new notebook called “Ordinateur portable de <first name>” or “Mon bloc-notes” (since my Microsoft account is in French, that’s the notebook’ name I had to use : it may be different in your country/language : you may need to use the very same name of the original notebook that opened the first time you used OneNote).
- It is possible though that I renamed some folders as well, and that the solution came from one or the other of my trouble shooting attempts…
Since this issue is difficult to reproduce, my explanation above may lack some details. If you experience it, take some screen shots of your OneDrive folder’ structure in order to better document your settings, and improve the guidance offered here. Thanks !
Updated 30/01 : updated after OneNote product team further tracked down this issue, and shared this sound explanation with me. Thanks !